Magic Bean Online

15.1.08

Book Worm: Creative 'How-to' Books

I have a serious weakness for creative 'how-to' books. They call out to my, 'I don't need to buy that designer dress when I'm sure I could make it myself for a tenth of the price' side. Better (or worse) still, they appeal to my, 'I don't need to enrol in that creative course when I can learn everything from a book' side. Truth be told, none of us can ever possibly make everything we want to and some things are best left to the experts but these wonderful 'how-to' treatises also often have invaluable practical skills amongst their leaves, not to mention great ideas and gorgeous images or illustrations. 


I have a few favourites and many I'd love to get my hands on. 

Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
I attribute the bulk of my sewing skills to Wendy Mullin. Well, actually my paternal grandmother was a seamstress and though all I have is a faint recollection of a dimly lit room near the front door, brimming with floral fabrics and musty notions, I'm certain that sewing somehow runs through my veins. Anyway, if you have leanings towards the needle and thread but don't know where to start, look no further than Wendy's 'Sew U'. Everything you need to know is covered here, from setting up your sewing space, to understanding patterns, from sewing in darts, to finishing edges. The book comes with a series of patterns that Wendy has released through Simplicity and includes perfect pants, a simple shirt and easy skirt.

When I initially skimmed through the pages of 'Sew U', our apartment was filled with drawn out Ohhhhhhhhs and Now I get its. The major epiphany for me though, was Wendy's mantra of 'think twice and cut once', which for me, has saved many a snip into the middle of a skirt.

SewU Top: Sew U: The Built by Wendy guide to making your own wardrobe by by Wendy Mullin, Eviana Hartman, and Beci Orpin
Bottom left: Sew U: Home Stretch, The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics by Wendy Mullin and Eviana Hartman
Bottom right: Sew What! Skirts, 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics by by Francesca DenHartog


HowTo
From top left: 
Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew by Amy Karol
How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book by Esther K. Smith
Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco
Cookie Craft by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer
Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Lacy Crochet (Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts) by Shufu-To-Seikatsu Sha
Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Amigurumi (Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts) by Tomoko Takamori
Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller
Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller

I'd love for everyone to share their own favourite 'how-to' books, as far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many!

No comments: